Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Gujerati Carrot Salad (Gajar ka salad) Review

3 stars (on a 5 star scale) p. 217 Not particularly good. In fact, the first time I cooked it, I burnt the mustard seeds (it's impossible to tell visually, but I could taste it) and the dish was so bad (though still edible) (2 stars) that I vowed to give it another try. I tried it again and didn't burn the mustard seeds. The flavor combination was interesting--lemon, carrot, and mustard seeds--and a bit better than before but still not something I'd make again. I tried both attempts at room temperature and chilled. The recipe is easy and fast. Grating the carrots takes the most time, but that's not much. Regarding the pictures, because both were of servings from the bottom of the bowl, they show more mustard seeds than the other servings.
close-up

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'M SURPRISED YOU DIDN'T LIKE THIS DISH. I MAKE IT OFTEN AND EVERYONE I'VE EVER SERVED IT TO HAS LIKED IT. IT'S PARTICULARLY EASY IF YOU GRATE THE CARROTS WITH YOUR CUISINART. I MAKE IT WITH PEANUT OIL. PERHAPS IT WAS THE OIL YOU POURED OVER IT THAT WASN'T GOOD.

little shiva said...

OOoh, this is one of my favorite side dishes whenever I cook Indian food. Love it!