Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Gujerati-Style Cabbage With Carrots Review

3 stars (on a 5 star scale) p. 141 An unexciting, though quickly cooked, dish of carrots and cabbage. It might work as a side dish for something, but wouldn't be a great one. The vegetables, when fresh off the stove, were oily in texture, despite me using less oil than the recipe recommended. (I used only enough to cover the bottom of the pan, not the whole four tablespoons.) The leftovers happily weren't oily but they still weren't particularly appealing. I didn't taste much lemon or cilantro. Worried that my lack of tasting these flavors was what was marring the dish, I added more lemon to one plate. It definitely made the lemon more prominent but didn't help the dish at all. Some notes on the ingredients:
  • Because I don't have a grater, I peeled the carrots, then chopped the peels.
  • The recipe suggests using half or one green chili. I used one whole serrano but removed most of the seeds first.
  • For the dried red chili, I used an arbol because that's what I had at hand.
  • I skipped the optional asafetida because I didn't have any.
close-up

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I tried this recipe for the first time a few weeks ago, in spite of owning the orginal book for over 25years. The flavour is wonderful and have made it again. However, I used Savoy cabbage because ordinary cabbage is too "cabbage tasting". Alternatively, one can use bok choy. Also, buy a good quality grater. The smaller pieces of carrot provide a larger surface area for the flavours to adhere to.