Friday, January 8, 2010

Cauliflower with Cumin and Asafetida (Heeng zeere ki gobi) Review

4.5 stars? 5 stars? (on a 5 star scale) p. 145 A very good dish that's both easy to prepare and fast to cook. Some notes on the ingredients:
  • I skipped the "generous pinch" of asafetida because I didn't have any.
  • I used one fresh hot green chili, with seeds. (The recipe recommended 1/2 - 1 chili.)
  • I skipped the 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander because I didn't have any. Though I didn't miss it / didn't think it would add anything, my friend says she would've liked it.
  • I used 1/4 teaspoon cayenne. (The recipe recommended 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon.)
  • I skipped the lemon juice because I didn't have any. Both of us eating this dish thought it would've added a nice touch (for next time).
Some notes on cooking:
  • I used only two tablespoons of oil (rather than the three recommended) to apparently no ill effect.
  • I added the recommended 1/2 cup water. I think this was too much; I needed to cook the cauliflower at medium/medium-high heat (rather than low) for twice the recommended length of time (12 minutes compared to 5-7) in order for most of the water to be gone. Next time add less water.

No comments: